Links and Information
News and Events
Bids and Notifications
Planning Commission Members
John Schmidt- Chair
Jennifer Cochran - Vice Chair
Tim Vogel - Secretary
Sue Bean | Renato Cerdena | Paul Jackson | Bill Yontz
Contact Mark Sweppenheiser, Director of Neighborhood Services, 231-592-4035, for more information.
Planning Commission Duties
The planning commission meets the 3rd Wednesday of every month at 6:30 p.m. at City Hall.
The Duties of the planning commission are identified in Chapter 14 of the City Charter. These duties are outlined as follows:
- Section 14.1 - planning commission Organization. The planning commission shall consist of seven persons. The Commission shall appoint members in accordance with the provisions of Section 14.2. Members of the planning commission shall serve without compensation. The City Manager or staff designee shall be an ex-officio member of the planning commission without vote and shall attend all meetings of the planning commission.
- Section 14.2 - Terms of Office. Terms of office for planning commission members shall begin on the first Monday in May and continue for three years. The terms shall be staggered so that not more than three terms expire each year. Whenever a position on the planning commission becomes vacant, the Mayor and Commissioners shall proceed to fill the position in accordance with the Charter. No person shall serve more than three consecutive terms on the planning commission. However, a person appointed to fill a vacancy of which less than one-half term remains may be appointed to two consecutive full terms. The Clerk shall publicize all vacancies and solicit applicants through both public notices and newspaper advertisements during a 15-day period prior to a person's being nominated to fill such vacancy.
- Section 14.3 - Organization and Officers. At the first meeting in September each year, the planning commission shall elect one of its members to be chairperson. In addition, the planning commission shall elect other officers as the Board's rules of procedure require. A designee of the City Manager shall take minutes of the Planning Commission meetings and file the minutes with the City Clerk. No person shall serve as chairperson for more than three consecutive years.
- Section 14.4 - Responsibilities and Duties. The planning commission shall exercise the responsibilities and duties provided in the City and Village Planning Act and other State statutes and those duties assigned by ordinance or by Charter. Such duties shall include preparing and revising a master plan for the City, making surveys, recommending zoning changes to the Commission in accordance with the zoning ordinance and advising the Commission with respect to municipal improvements. The planning commission shall make reports and recommendations to the Commission on other matters as the Commission considers appropriate.
- Section 14.5 - Meetings. The planning commission shall meet in regular session at least once each month, unless there is no business to be conducted. It shall adopt rules of procedure for transacting its business and keep a record of all its meetings.
- Section 14.6 - Removal from Office. The Mayor, with the consent of the Commission, may remove any member of the planning commission for misconduct or neglect of duty. The Mayor and Commission shall remove from office any member of the planning commission who is absent from three consecutive meetings unless the planning commission excuses the absence.