Thomas Paul - Income Tax Administrator
Paula Weipert - Administrative Assistant
The mission of the City Income Tax Department is to collect the city income tax efficiently and equitably within the limits of the city income tax ordinance.
The City Income Tax Department is part of the Office of the City Treasurer. The Income Tax Administrator performs the following duties:
- Individual Returns: Audits individual income tax returns and issues refunds or assessments as required.
- Withholding Tax: Supervises the withholding accounts of employers.
- Corporation Tax: Administers income tax for corporations; audits their returns.
- Customer Service: Assists customers and performs special audits.
City Income Taxes are generated by a flat 1.0% rate applied to the income of City residents, and businesses. Non-residents working in the City pay 0.5%. Few adjustments to gross income are allowed in computing the tax. Income taxes account for 24% of general fund revenues.
- Filing Date: Your return must be filed by April 30 of the current year.
- Remittance: Make remittance payable to CITY OF BIG RAPIDS.
- Mailing Address: Mail return and remittance with appropriate wage and tax statements to: